Saturday, May 22, 2010

Galway!

I can't write anything in cool Irish script but regardless: I am in Galway!!

Since I last updated I was in Germany again, went to a rockin' pool with lots of stainless steel, had more delicious sausage and such, then headed off.

I left Germany at 5:58am on Wednesday morning. Three trains, one 16h ferry ride, and one RV ride later I met up with Jasmine in Dublin and we took one more tram ride and train ride to get to Galway around 8pm. It was a LONG trip. The RV I speak of came from a traveling-hippie-esqu couple that was in my reserved seat sleeping area on the ferry. I was antisocial the entire boat ride (mostly just reading " A Short History of Nearly everything", which is AMAZING) but finally decided to say hi my last hour as I was getting antsy and suspected I could get them to let me watch Always Sunny in Philadelphia (I'd heard the theme song the night before), turns out they couldn't, but they COULD drive me from Rosslare to Dublin and share their pasta meal in their camper. Which was epic. In return I let them listen to the Beatles off of my ipod. Good deal.

Galway has been fantastic so far. Our hostel is SO COOL (lets of colorful walls) and the city is lively, the bay beautiful and full of rocks, sand and BRIGHT green moss.

My favorite Ireland moment so far is coming up to one of the MANY buskers on the street who were tuning up (a punk rock band-ish busker group) and this little old man ina plaid vest walks up to them and asks " Can I sing 'I cant get no satisfaction'", the kids bemusedly agree, a small crowd gathers and this guy NAILS it. A very drunk couple (its 8pm keep in mind) start to dance, the woman in a leapard print coat, another very enthusiastic drunk man and many amused sober people rock along, and then it's over. A little plaid vest and surprising amount of talent shuffle away.

We walked by the same buskers an hour later and they were doing their rock thing...the old guy was better.

Ok that's it for now. Off to join the EMU group and see old Abbeys and such.

Peace!

1 comment:

  1. What a hoot--sounds like a terrific trip, Jessie babe! Glad to hear you've met up with Jasmine and have more EMU friends in the mix. ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete