Monday, July 19, 2010

From the Mt of Olives to Capitol Hill-coming back daunted and hopeful

I went back to Capitol Hill this morning to say hi to my former co-workers at the United Methodist General Board of Church and society. I noticed as I walked out the door of my house that I was wearing two items bought at H&M, whose CEO gives large amounts of money to Israel. There was construction happening at the Silver Spring metro station and I saw a giant Caterpillar digger, another reminder of unethical investment (Caterpillar is a key target for BDS as they provide the demolition equipment especially made for Israel. Their bulldozers are used to demolish Palestinian homes.) and I walked on. As I arrived at the Methodist Building I could see the Capitol on my right, senate and congressional buildings all around and I couldn't help but be ever so slightly tempted to just walk in and knock on every door to politely yet firmly ask that we STOP FUNDING THE FRIGGIN OCCUPATION! But, of course, I didn't. (Mostly because I think getting a delegation from VA to visit our senator's office together while being prepared and clearly representing a significant amount of voters is much more effective.) I think maybe I still should have though, I mean, why not?

I left Israel/Palestine on July 12th from Tel Aviv. I got to spend my last night with the USAID Peace Coordinator, which was fascinating in many regards. I also got to the airport 2 hours later than I should have and had the unique experience of being helped through by the security women who nonethless did a very thorough job of rifling through my things. (I think it helped that I had a pin with the Israel and American flags on my bag and that I gave myself an Israeli hairdo and put on lots of flashy jewelry. These are always helpful things.) I spent 4 lovely days in Paris seeing my family and enjoying my last nutella crepe and Shtrumph gummies for a while. And now I'm back in the US.

This is where the work needs to be done, at least for me. This is where suddenly the right thing is all the more pressing but also all the more distant from view. It is SO obvious when in Israel/Palestine that the church should stop funding occupation, that the government should stop schizophrenically funding the Israeli military and occupation as a whole and also funding peace programs and humanitarian aid (Here's an idea: stop funding the occupation and you can stop funding the negative externalities of the occupation!) But here, everything needs to be proved. Everything needs to be explained. Suddenly the enemy is nothing so obvious as a gun in your face or an 18 year old soldier shooting tear gas at people on their own land, the enemy is ignorance, apathy, bad theology, and fear of controversy. Suddenly it's not just enough to show up, to blog, to be in solidarity; to be faithful is to organize, to speak out, to push for movement, to move.

I'm really excited to be going back to Eastern Mennonite University, to be back in the United States with so many people I love. I'm excited that as a citizen I have power to effect change. I'm excited to do more cooking, to get back into biking and gardening and hymn singing. But I'm also incredibly daunted and nervous. Because in my heart I carry the knowledge that as I enjoy all of these things, my Palestinian friends are still being oppressed. They still don't have freedom. International law and more importantly the law of Love that Christ taught is being daily violated. Many will say "Well yes but that's true all over the world all the time" which is true, but the major difference here is that WE'RE PAYING FOR IT, we're supporting it. Our government, our corporations, our churches, our schools, our silence are all allowing this to continue, no, are making it continue.

So I'm daunted and I'm scared. I'm scared of my own weakness and inability to compel movement, to communicate effectively. I'm scared that no matter how clearly or well I state the case or tell the story, people still won't care, because they don't have to. I'm scared the Mennonite church will shuffle its feet and not take a clear stance on BDS. But I guess I'm also hopeful. I'm hopeful because I am far from the only person, American or Mennonite to have been touched by this issue. I'm joining a struggle already in process. I'm hopeful because Jesus is on the side of the oppressed. I'm hopeful because I can't be anything but, because fear is not a good impetus for motion, but hope is.

After a long two months of travel I hope that's where you'll join me: in hopeful motion. Not everyone is called to lead the struggle for justice in Israel/Palestine. But if you are an American and if you belong to a church or a university you are involved already. My friend in Bethlehem recently tagged the wall with giant letters which read "Question your leaders!" Sprayed on an Apartheid Wall paid for by the US and built by the same company building the US/Mexico wall, it's a strong statement and a good reminder. So question your leaders, question your investments and let your heart be touched by the stories of those effected by our actions and inactions.

__________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment